Saturday, February 14, 2009
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
I made these sugar cookies for Valentine's Day and I really, really like them! I do, however, love cream cheese. You do have to refrigerate them - and that can be a turn-off to some people - but I think they are well worth it! You should give them a try!
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp (use real butter...I had to use 1/4 cup of salted butter, and it turned out fine)
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract (I omitted this b/c I didn't have any)
4 cups flour (I may have added up to an extra 1/2 cup)
1 tsp. baking powder
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, cream cheese, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg. Beat until smooth.
2. Stir in flour and baking powder until well blended.
3. Chill the dough 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use.
6. Cut dough into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters.
7. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven (mine needed to go a bit longer), or until light and golden brown.
9. Cool cookies completely before frosting.